Monday, May 27, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge 11: Squares, Rectangles, and Triangles

A while ago, my dear friend David, a midshipman aboard the HMS Acasta, asked me to sew a shirt for him.  I didn't realize until I received the pattern that it totally fits with the 11th Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge!  I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and so is its new owner!

The Challenge: #11: Squares, Rectangles, & Triangles
Fabric: 40/60 Linen/Cotton blend
Year: 1790-1820
Notions: Gutermann polyester thread, three mother-of-pearl buttons
How historically accurate is it?: About 90%.  I only sewed interior seams by machine, everything else was done by hand.  The fabric and pattern are accurate.  I'm not sure about the buttons exactly, but they were already in my stash so I used them.
Hours to complete: I didn’t count, as I worked on it on and off.  It felt like an age, though!
First worn: David tried it on once he received it, but other than that he will wear it for the first time at the Louisville Jane Austen festival.
Total cost: About $48 including the cost of the pattern.

And now, pictures!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

New Livejournal!

Hello everyone!  I have decided to start a companion live journal in order to be able to post in small installments in order to show my progress.  The link can be found in the sidebar to the right, but just in case you can't find it, it's here!  Don't worry, I'll still be posting here regularly with research and costume master posts, you'll just be able to better keep track of me on my live journal.  Anyway, off to sewing now!  Allons-y!