Saturday, July 27, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge #15: White

Hello again, everyone!  I have just returned from the Jane Austen festival, which was a lovely time altogether.  It was great seeing old friends and making new ones, and introducing my beau to the world of reenacting!  I wasn't able to make myself anything new for this event, but I did make a waistcoat for David.  It was my first tailoring experience, and I think it turned out pretty nicely!  It also qualifies for the fifteenth HSF challenge.  Yay!

The Challenge: #15: White

Fabric: Ticken from Wm. Booth, Draper for the front and cotton muslin for the lining

Pattern: Kannick's Korner Man's Waistcoats pattern

Year: 1812

Notions: Gutermann polyester thread, eight pewter buttons from Jas. Townsend

How historically accurate is it?: I'd say 50%.  The fabrics are correct, the cut and style is correct, but most of the construction is not.  Because I was pressed for time I had to cut a few corners, but I still did all of the necessary tailoring by hand.

Hours to Complete: 16

First Worn:  The Jane Austen Festival in Louisville, KY

Total Cost:  Including the pattern, $60

I have a few construction pictures, and I of course will include more pictures with my write-up of the Jane Austen Festival as a whole!

Tracing the pattern out

Everything is cut out and ready to go!

Padstitching the collar--with my handy stitch-checker!  This was before I realized that I had soaked the other end in coffee, and frantically attempted to remove the stain.  Lesson learned--spray and wash does nicely on ticken!

The waistcoat before collar, buttons, and buttonholes.

Here it is, in all its glory!  See the dirt stain?  At least I knew how to clean it from the coffee stain :)

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Amateur Seamstress is now The Deviant Dressmaker!

After returning home from Gettysburg and beginning on a few commission pieces, I realized that I can no longer call myself an amateur.  I have grown a lot through these past two years of sewing, and I think I'm now at the point where it is time for a change!  I have decided to adopt the title of Deviant Dressmaker because, while my main goal is in sewing dresses, I tend to have many little offshoots and other adventures and fun experiences.  The blog is also getting a new look to accompany this new name, so I hope you all enjoy it!  Thank you so much for being my faithful readers, I look forward to many wonderful years with you!